donderdag 19 november 2009

Access audits for DDA

During my search for a new subject for my weakly blog I came across an article with the title:"Access Audits for DDA". I had no idea what DDA meant so I did some research. DDA stands for "disability discrimination acts", it's a term given to all laws aimed at reducing discrimination against people with disabilities. Later on other forms of anti-discrimination laws were added to the term DDA (ex. Laws to reduce racial discrimination and sexism) Now I knew what the article was about it attracted my attention. It was a short article about how you, as organization, can make sure disabled people can find their way in your buildings.

The main reason why the article caught my attention was because in my primary school my best friend was disabled: he used a wheelchair. To make sure he could safely move around there were little adaptations around the school premises. That's also what's mentioned in the article: it's not necessary to remove a building when it's not adapted. But it's possible to make the life of disabled people more easy by making some little changes in buildings that aren't adapted. And that's why I think it could be a good idea to audit buildings because it's not always easy to know what the difficulties are for people with a disability.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ictcoach/accessibility/aad_p1.shtml

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten